preparations

This Wednesday starts the Summer Show 2015 for first and second year students. It will be my opportunity to show my bin’s project, so I have developed some stuff in order to prepare my exhibition. To attract the public attention, I have printed an A1 board that will be used as a background for my space. There are hold the different shapes that I had designed at the beginning because I want to give a big importance to that step which was essential for the meaning of my project. The 1:6 scaled prototypes will be set in the center of the space, on a high surface. I printed some cards related with the pebbles project that also provides my personal information. All the stuff which is behind the development of the project is projected by a bound document.

My exhibition space still has to be improved in order to get a complete, professional and real result.
IMG-20150608-WA0003

The colour appear!

First of all, I had to spray a layer of primer to get an homogeneous white colour, not only inside each part but also outside so I would be able to add colour on the plastic body. Secondly I had to cover the outside carefully in order to be able to spray the inner face with a dark grey. I had to use a little brush to paint the white holes after spraying.


Once the inside is ready, I had to prepare every detail to spray the outer face. I covered the main holes of each body from the inner face by tape. I had to be very careful once I sticked both parts not to remove the tape, otherwise would be really difficult to get the holes covered again.

I stuck both parts with a hard glue by using the tabs, the problem was that I had already painted the plastic surface so the chloroform didn’t work. To fill the gaps between the parts I used mastic, and once it became dry and hard I sanded the whole container to get a soft surface. Afterwards, I had to spray every body with several layers of primer in order to get the same finishing in the whole body.


Finally, after mixing a lot of colours, I found the chromatic range that I wanted. I applied a base spray layer using each colour for each determined body, and after it dried I changed the pressure of the tool in order to get a plastic texture.

VACUUM PROCESS

I have chosen the vacuum process to create my final prototypes. I want to show the containers as empty bodies, in order to visually understand how they will work (even if they are scaled 1:6). I thought this process would be the best way to achieve the organic skins, incorporate the inner hole and also simulate the round details produced by the real process, which will be rotational moulding.

Before using the vacuum machine, I had to develop each half container by the CNC machine. Secondly, leaving the model stuck on the wood basis support, used in the CNC, I cut the perimeter in order to leave a distance for an allowable error. After  that, I did several holes, that crossed the whole model and the wood basis, with a drill to let the compressed air escape when using the vacuum.

After doing the vacuum process ( shown on the following pictures), I had to remove the CNC models from the hard plastic sheet. To make this work easier, first of all I cut the spare plastic of the hole to avoid the compression into the plastic model. Then, by using two screws for each model I could fix them on a vice to remove them from the sheet.

testing different roads

Once the internal parts where developed by a 3d program in order to define the bin functionality, I tried to make them be real objects. By using a 3D Printer I printed the 4 pieces that conform the product to taste them by touching. I could also be able to ensure the functional process and the different steps the employee will have to follow.

Due to the machine, the material wasn’t applied in a properly way. So that, the final pieces were deformed and poorly built (as can be seen in the pictures).

After this test, other ways to conform will have to be consider in order to get the internal system as real pieces.

_MG_1517

1,2,3…

After getting the feedback from our lecturers, I decided to deeply analyse the pebble shape I had developed as a bin container. I realised it had several functional disadvantages, so it was time to face them!

First of all, the triangle section of the body provided a big useless space between the external halls and the inner bag container. Furthermore, the window designed to take the waste bag out and replace it is not big enough and could make employee’s work become a difficulty when they had to raise the full heavy bag.

Considering the general dimensions already fixed, some different volumes have been developed by 3D program. After prototyping them in 1:6 scale by CNC machine, I could modify them by hand and accurate the shape. So I chose some of them in order to create a system by following the same style. The system is formed by three different shapes to use each one for a specific kind of waste.